Project Work Plan
Department of the Interior USGS GE PES
Fiscal Year 2010 Study Work Plan
Advanced Computer Applications to Support the Greater Everglades Joint
Ecosystem Modeling Effort
Fiscal Year 2010
Craig Conzelmann, Scott Wilson, Steve Hartley, Dustin Roszell, Dover Wingrove
The USGS has been requested by the South Florida Ecosystem Restoration Program to take a lead role on all programming activities which fall under the Joint Ecosystem Modeling (JEM) umbrella. This request includes developing and implementing a long-term software development and maintenance strategy which addresses scientists and resource managers needs to run ecological models, data manipulation tools, and data viewers from their desktops. Additionally, USGS has been asked to investigate and recommend data storage standards and data sharing techniques which will ease the challenges related data access across the Everglades restoration community.
USGS will continue its efforts focused on improving integration both within the Department of Interior agencies (USGS, USFWS, NPS) and others such as the SFWMD and the Army Corps of Engineers with hopes of future expansion to other natural resource stake holders.
- Release to production, version 1.0 of the cross-platform (Windows, OSX, Linux), netCDF based data viewer, data manipulation, and modeling application: EverVIEW.
- Continue to work with key partner agencies (USFWS, NPS, USACE, SFWMD) to better integrate ecological models produced by JEM into the restoration decision process.
- Expand the effort to establish a CERP netCDF standard beyond just USGS and NPS to the Greater Everglades restoration community.
- Program the decision rules of the following models into EverVIEW model plug-ins:
- Present EverVIEW at GEER 2010
- Develop a web based (research and development) collaboration tool which allows JEM partners to share ideas, models, data, etc in a forum-like setting.
- Continue efforts to maintain communication and integration with the other key agencies (USFWS, NPS, SFWMD) by attending JEM meetings and onsite visits to discuss the agency specific needs related to data modeling, data manipulation, and data viewing. With the release of EverVIEW and its plug-ins, these partner meetings will also need to include face-to-face training to ensure the users understand how to use the new software.
- Task 1,4 will be completed by April 30, 2010
- Task 2,5 will be completed by September 30, 2010 (contingent on subject matter expert feedback)
- Task 3 will be completed by July 31, 2010